Oct. 28, 2020


On October 24, 2020 Rue made the difficult and courageous decision to end his continuous foot path on the first scout of the APT. After a long, intermittent illness and early intense snowfall he determined that it was no longer safe for him to continue the westward journey any farther than the Bismarck, North Dakota area where he stopped.

This decision was not an easy one for him to make, and it was a week of deliberations and an emotional journey for both Rue and myself. I know that I had envisioned the celebrations we would be having and the joy of having Rue safely off trail and soon to be ensconced in his home community. We both are coming to terms with the end of the continuous footpath, and the uncertainty of the next phase.

Rue will be home in Bend, Oregon seeking medical attention, resting, recovering, healing and planning the next phases for the APT. We are both hopeful that he will be able to return to the trail and hike more during 2020, but it is dependent on his health and the weather. As the snow fell rapidly in North Dakota the lack of winter gear and need for specific changes in his gear was grossly apparent. It is something that he now has the time to address.

We both want to thank all of you for supporting the journey for the past 15 months. Rue would not have been able to hike through 20 states and cover over 9,000 miles without your support. The journey has not yet ended and we will continue to update everyone with the status of Rue and the APT.

Thank you all.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *